My computer is broken, and this is a disaster. While I can temporarily use MrC’s laptop, I know that I need to find a more permanent solution to this problem soon. After all, a computer is my one big work-at-home investment. Yes, I’m choosing to see it as an investment rather than an outright expense. Think positive, as they say!
So now I need help. What machine do I buy? Truth be told I’ve been dreaming about getting a Macbook since the first pearly white one came out years ago. I’ve just never been able to convince myself that it’s worth the price. That’s because there are lots of other great laptops with similar specs, but at half the cost.
Basically I need a computer that is/has…
* Lightweight (ideally), with a great batter life. That entire computer will pretty much make up my mobile office I need my mobile office to be mobile-friendly.
* Great for multitasking. I tend to have a browser, word processor, Excel, sometimes Powerpoint, Photoshop and/or Lightroom, Skype, chat clients, oDesk team, sometimes uTorrent, my web browser with a flash game, Facebook, Twitter, my blog dashboard and other tabs, plus a bunch of other programs running all at once. My computer must be as good at multitasking as I am.
* Fast. Because slow computers kill my momentum.
* Lots of storage space. After all, what good is a mobile office if it can’t allow me to bring everything (meaning all of my files, photos and videos) with me all at once? And yes, a lot of these files, photos and videos are work stuff.
* Reliable. I’ve used 3 different HP computers over a span of 6 years. On average, after 2years they’ve gone all comatose on me. Is it me? I’d like to think that I’ve just been getting devices that aren’t up to par with my usage. Like with mobile phones, for instance. When I was on Nokia, I’d have to change units after a year and a half, two years max. Now that I’m on BlackBerry, I’m nearing the 2-year mark and my phone is running super well. So yes, I’m hoping it might just be an incompatibility issue.
* A real workhorse. I’m on my computer a lot. I keep it on almost all day.
Can you suggest a laptop that can do all of these things, that won’t die on me after a couple of years? I seriously need to get a replacement asap. What computers are you guys on? Are you happy with your device? I’d love to hear from you!
xo Patricia C. via WordPress for Blackberry